Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Super Duper!


Who's looking for a great read? A book that makes you feel good, and one that no matter how hard you try you just won't want to put down? My Most Excellent Year, by Steven Kluger will not disappoint.

One of my favorite parts of this book was how they added a bunch of old timer baseball statistics. TC and his father both love baseball, and even have nicknames that only they call each other. TC's dad calls him "Tony C. and TC calls his dad "Teddy Ballgame." I thought it was very creative having the last few generations of TC's family all named after former star baseball players. Also, I liked how Red Sox baseball was such a big part of their lives. I am a die hard Cubs fan, so from a traditional standpoint I easily relate!

Although this novel was full of light-hearted characters who enjoyed life, some of these character's haven't exactly had it easy. Finding out that Augie was gay immediately brought my attention back to my own life, where one of my best girl friends recently came out. She is one of the funniest and is one of the easiest people to be around. I enjoyed the way that Augie's homosexual preference did not change the way his friends thought of him. Hopefully we are closer to becoming a more tolerant society.

This book is without a doubt a "feel good, romantic comedy." It reminds me of the chick flick Fever Pitch because of the Red Sox similarities. Although the sparkling cover may not grab the attention of everyone, there is a good chance a person will feel happy and satisfied after reading My Most Excellent Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment