Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Reflection

With the semester coming to a close, it's time to take some time to reflect on my YA Literature reading experience as well as everything that I have learned in class. While registering for classes this fall, I remember the reason that I took this class was that I was intrigued by YA Lit, even though I wasn't exactly sure what it was.

During the first week of class, I have to admit I was intimidated! I would consider myself a very talkative and friendly person, but as I began to meet my classmates while we went through introductions, I soon figured out that I was one of the few "non" English majors. This introduced a new challenge because it was clear that participation was going to be a significant portion of our grade.

Although speaking the opinions/feelings about the books we read as a class was challenging, I feel like it was completely worth it. I spent more time analyzing each book and looking deep into what the author was trying to accomplish by writing it than I would have if I did not have to speak up in front of a bunch of English majors. So that kind of "friendly" pressure effected me in a good way.

Also, I noticed that throughout the semester I started to feel "smarter." I know that some of this could have been mental, but there is no doubt in my mind that my reading speed increased. Also, I think it is fair to say that reading a book every week will help strengthen a person's vocabulary.

Lastly, I am just excited to be reading again. Minus maybe one or two books, I truly enjoyed every book that we read in class, as well as the ones that I picked for choice reading. As a child who used to read SO MUCH, but then lost interest in middle and high school, it's excited to revive my desire to read books. I will recommend the novels we chose in class to others, because in my opinion they are books that have appeal for all different types of people.
Finally, Although my blogging is finished for the semester, I plan to blog about my future reading conquests. I want to make sure that kids, teens, and adults all know to "Make Way for YA!"

2 comments:

  1. You were such a wonderful example of a person who came to these books with an open mind and allowed yourself to be immersed in what they had to offer. I spent a lot of time rereading the Reading Autobiographies last week, and what you said about having lost time for and love of reading during middle and high school struck me over and over again. Thank you for your openness to these books and your valuable contributions to this class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. You also made tremendous strides in your ability to write and talk about books!

    ReplyDelete